Saturday, September 25, 2010

A New Hobbie

Jeremy has a new hobby! Yes canning, I know right..... REALLY, but yes. This has been a summer time past time for him which means me too. It's been kind of fun though. We visit a few farmers markets for our fresh veggies such as; carrots, beets, jalepenos, green beans, asparagus and eggs. I know their not veggies and we didn't get them at the farmers market but they are a favorite snack of Jeremy's so he wanted to give them a try too. When I was younger I remember having pickled beets, and green beans at my Grandma Greenhalgh's. So with a little help from my grandparents recipes and a few from on line we set out to try a few different recipes.
Eggs and jalepenos in the steamer I think they look kind of pretty
Below is the veggies sitting in their brine (salt water) for my grandmas famous mustard pickle. It's so very tasty. Red and green peppers, pearl onions, cucumbers and cauliflower are the veggies that go into this recipe.
After the veggies have sat overnight to soak, we added the ground mustard and other ingredients that give it that beautiful color. It taste so yummy with, maybe a Sunday dinner roast, grilled pork chops or even some chicken. It's a sweet mustard with a very mild tang. If you want to try it I would give you a bottle! :) My sister Heidi and I spent a few hours last week to bottle it up. We were pretty proud of ourselves that we were able to get it all done with no "grandma or mom help" Thanks for your help Heid.It's been fun trying new recipes and also some old family recipes that my Grandma Greenhalgh has passed down to me. Our absolutely, best of the best recipe that I grew up with and is now my little families favorite it's Grandma's pickled mustard. Just the smell brings back so many memories of being with my grandparents. It's delicious! And look how pretty it is.

No comments:

playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Summer 2008

picturetrail